“Thank you for all you have done during this project! Your knowledge and skills, your patience and persistence, your continual search for information about effective sites, and on and on… We’ve learned a lot from you and have appreciated your commitment to quality.” —Linda Hendrickson, Cascadia Community College
Client: Cascadia Community College is a feeder school for the University of Washington. It shares its state-of-the-art, wetland-lined campus with UW Bothell. The magazine Washington Monthly named Cascadia the No. 2 community college in the United States.
Challenges: Cascadia’s old website got little traffic because users found it hard to find what they needed, even if the information did exist on the site. The site did not communicate the college’s strengths or provide much information that prospective college students commonly look for. The site was both out-of-date and hard to update.
To plan and create Cascadia’s new website, I worked with Cascadia’s marketing and communications department and dozens of members of college staff and administration, providing these deliverables:
- Homepage design for Cascadia.edu
- Cascadia.edu information architecture and content migration plan
- Content coaching, guides, and templates for content authors, including standards and guidelines for metadata and microcontent (for usability and search optimization)
- Writing and editing for selected pages
- Wireframes for web applications
- Goals and audiences brief (summary of responses to a strategy questionnaire filled out during a day-long meeting with stakeholders)
- Brand plan including audience definition, site priorities, and audience profiles (developed with Tauber-Kienan Associates)
- Consulting on social media strategy
- Expert evaluation of earlier proposed design